How Long Are Cooked Potatoes Good For?
Cooked potatoes can be stored in the fridge or freezer to enjoy at a later date. However, it is important to remember that there are a few ways to tell if a potato has gone bad. In this article, we’ll explore how long cooked potatoes last and how to tell if they’ve gone bad.
What are the best ways to store cooked potatoes?
There are a few different ways that you can store cooked potatoes. You can put them in the fridge, or you can freeze them. Just remember to wait for your freshly cooked potatoes to cool down to room temperature first.
If you’re going to put them in the fridge, make sure to put them in a covered container so they don’t dry out. You can also freeze them by putting them in a freezer-safe bag or container.
Raw potatoes are less temperamental. Store raw potatoes in a cool, dark, and dry place with good air circulation. When kept at temperatures of around 50°F/10°C fresh potatoes should last for as long as 3 months.
How long do cooked potatoes last in the fridge or freezer
So, how long do cooked potatoes last when cooked? Cooked potatoes will last for 3 to 5 days in the fridge and up to a year in the freezer.
The length of time the potatoes will stay fresh is dependent on factors such as the variety, how long they have been stored before cooking, and how they have been cooked.
Baked potatoes and boiled potatoes are likely to last longer than mashed potatoes which are more prone to freezer burn if made with butter, milk, cream, or any other ingredients that have a shorter shelf life.
How to tell if a potato is bad
Before eating cooked potatoes that have been stored in the fridge or freezer it is important to check if they have spoiled.
You can find a list of common signs to watch out for before enjoying pre-cooked potatoes listed below:
- Molds or black/green spots
- Any visible punctures, cuts, or tears in the skin
- Wrinkled skin
- Rotten flesh near a cut in the potato
- Soft or watery flesh
- A strong, unpleasant smell
If your potatoes have any of the above signs it is best to discard them immediately.
Reasons why you should never eat expired potatoes
Expired food can be dangerous to consume. It might contain bacteria or other contaminants that can make you sick.
Additionally, expired food might not taste as good as fresh food, and it might not be as nutritious. If you’re looking to eat healthily, it’s best to avoid eating spoiled food.
Cooked potatoes are at high risk of food poisoning, and can harbor harmful pathogens and bacteria. Some common foodborne illnesses that can be caused by eating expired potatoes are listed below:
- Staphylococcal food poisoning
The benefits of cooking with potatoes
Potatoes are a staple ingredient in many dishes because they are affordable, versatile, and nutritious. They also store well in the fridge or freezer, so it’s useful to always have a few cooked potatoes on hand.
Here are a few easy dishes that you can prepare using pre-cooked potatoes:
- Potato Soup: This is a classic soup that is easy to make and delicious. Just cook the potatoes in some broth until they are soft, then mash them and add seasoning to serve.
- Shepherd’s Pie: This dish is made with mashed potatoes on top of a layer of cooked ground beef and vegetables. It’s a hearty and filling meal.
- Potato Salad: This is a classic summer dish that is perfect for potlucks and picnics. To make it, cook the potatoes until they are soft, then mix them with some mayo, mustard, chopped spring onions, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Potato Pancakes: These pancakes are quick and easy to make. Just grate some cooked potatoes, add some egg, onion, and flour, and fry them up in some oil.
- Grilled Potatoes: Grilled potatoes are a delicious and easy dish. Just cut the potatoes into thin slices, brush them with olive oil, and season them with salt and pepper. Then grill them on medium heat.
Always check that your cooked potatoes are safe to eat before serving
If you want to store your potatoes for future use, it’s best if they are chilled carefully as soon as they are cooled. The safest way of storing cooked potatoes will depend on how long ago you cooked them.
Above all, most sources say that cooked potatoes can be stored in the fridge for 3 to 5 days or frozen for a year. If you’re unsure about their freshness, cut into one before reheating. Ultimately, if you notice any signs of spoilage such as dark spots throw out the potatoes immediately.